Friday, September 12, 2008

walking through the mall, went into macy's, bought the michael kors brown suede high-heeled oxfords (i'm banking on that trend not dying out for at least another year; nobody in utah is wearing them anyway), walking past the fragrance department. horrible. it's all mariah and paris and five flavors of j.lo and also daisy. how many different amariges can there be? they had notorious, which i sprayed on and which made me want to be wearing coco. then i sprayed shalimar on the inside of my left wrist and gaultier's new one, maDame or whatever, on the top of that arm. they smelled identical.

drydown: shalimar has the watery, limpid guerlain heart, and maDame is so gross. so gross. bad bathroom deodorizer, like those solid jelly ones they had in the late 70s. notorious got so boring.

9 comments:

marshall p said...

gross! funny! I want shalimar. I love how vanilla/amber it is. love. I seriously cannot wait to see your shoes! sorry I haven't been home lately. (pooh.)

tam said...

Hi! I'm back!
Thanks for that lovely post. I have L'Occitane almond oil and I love it. I also like the smell of turpentine, so I'll look for that one too.

Thanks for writing about Luca Turin. My son's name is Torin Lucas. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm back to reading, and sniffing everything...

marshall p said...

woot!

Marie said...

I have no idea what you're talking about (I've got a lazy and uneducated smeller). But I thought it might be Significant that I found this blog the day after I had my first perfume dream ever. Meaning a dream in which I was in a store smelling different perfumes and I could actually smell them. I finally found one that I liked, it had a friendly, warm, unpretentious-girlfriend-with-clean-hair feel to it, and I intended to buy it, but of course being me I had to smell all the others before making my Final Decision and before I got to the end of the perfume line, the dream was over! Rats!! Maybe God is trying to tell me more about my decision-making skills and not so much about perfumes?

Anyway, do either of you have anything to recommend along those lines perfume-wise?

Michelle said...

well, hello fragrance ladies.

emily, i do love your shoes and all of your recent purchases as of late, especially that dry shampoo and that tuberose rollon. what was the name of that again? hey, can you invite me to your other blog yet?

marshall p said...

hey michelle,

I'll answer that question for emily, it's called fracas.

love,
mp

emily said...

michelle: fracas. i gave it to erin. i'll need to buy another for myself.

marie: i love that dream! one i really like is the clarins one...i think it's called with love or something. there's one for adult ladies and one for babies, and the adult lady one is very warm and toasty and kinda milky. it's a skin fragrance, very unpretentious-girlfriend.

emily said...

the clarins one is called par amour, which means by love, not with love. i was close. try it.

Marie said...

Thanks -- I'm going to check it out. Warm/toasty/milky? I would love to smell like winter comfort food!