Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm a huge nerd

and here is the reason why... I have been lust lusting for bulgari black for a couple of months now. It's literally been all that I think about. then I finally got it and wore it for about a week and it really was exactly what I always wanted and satisfying and I walked around in a dreamy cloud of perfume fragrances for that long. then one day...

I picked up my little sample of Eau des Merveilles by Hermes. which I got two years ago in London when I bought my scarf and I hated it. hated. it. but something in me was like, "let's give it a try".

I have not stopped wearing it since. at first I couldn't get enough of it, it was warm, it was woody, it was a little bit masculine, but just feminine enough. lesbians luuuv it. (yikes!) people complimented me on it right and left. just a whiff made my day bearable. I was very liberal with it. then I noticed I was running out... without ways or means to acquire a new bottle. or even a new sample... omg!! it's literally again all I've been thinking about. I'm now to the point that I dole out a tiny drop on each wrist every night and maybe one on the back of my neck but that is it. I'm actually afraid to try an American sample because I've noticed lately that the perfumes I get in Europe actually smell quite different from their American counterparts and what if I can't get any more of this juice for another 10 years, what then?

the thing about Eau des Merveilles is that it sneaks up on you. almost all of the other fragrance reviews that I've read say the same thing... at first they didn't like it, then suddenly they could barely live without it. In response to Emily's query below... I think maybe it's a scent that was a little before it's time... or maybe just timeless enough. I think it could really be an undiscovered classic.

8 comments:

emily said...

it's funny how tastes change too. suddenly you wake up to a fragrance you used to hate, or you hate one you used to love. i think i have a sample of that i'll have to bust out.

you're such a good writer, marsha.

marshall p said...

emily,
a.) you are going to love it! and if you don't can I have it?

b.)liar!

B. said...

I really admire how enthusiastic you two are about frangrance.

I've had the same scent for over ten years. I never change it up. It's because I'm trying to establish a brand identity. I want people to say "hmmm, smells like Bryton." but... in a good way.

Hoon said...

emily, i'll see your pear glace and raise you a cucumber melon (barf).

you two always smell lovely. I'm excited to see where this goes.

erin T to the S said...

Oh, I just love my friends Marsha and Emily and their fragrant winds of wisdom.
'Winds of wisdom' winds beneath my wings.
Too bad about the Bulgari..hopefully your tastes come back around in the next 5 years. I'll keep a look out for Hermes next time I'm in Europe... or maybe I'll just pray to the shopping spirit on your behalf.
and both of you are such good writers!

marshall p said...

bryton- that's going to be the subject of my next entry!

hoon- thanks!

erin- I still love the bulgari, I just got sidetracked. it happens. you and I should get rich and just go to europe. like maybe when your in-laws are in town.

emily said...

here's one thing bois de jasmin said about it: "While the ambery notes of Hermès Eau des Merveilles are of a salty ambergris variety, wearing this fragrance, especially in the parfum concentration, is not unlike being wrapped in a fur stole."

marshall p said...

I love wearing my grammy's fur stole...